10 Practices Law Students & New Admittees should do at DCBA
Wednesday, June 25, 2014
Posted by: Cindy Allston
10 Best Practices Law Students & New Admittees Should Do At DCBA
1) You've done the first thing - becoming a member of DCBA. Congratulations! Once you have been admitted let us know so we can update your membership.
2) Attend as many networking events as you can. Almost monthly there are Happy Hour events throughout DuPage. These are FREE events. They are attended by experienced attorneys and judges. Don’t just attend for the free drinks, introduce yourself to members. They really do want to help young lawyers. The best way to get to know people is to meet them face to face and often. Once a year DCBA travels to downtown Chicago and DeKalb and hosts a free pizza party. Watch for information on these February events.
3) Stop by the Attorney Resource Center (ARC) at the DuPage Judicial Building - 3rd Floor. This is where lawyers hang out. The best time is Doughnut Thursday as more lawyers are coming in and out between 8:30-10:30. Don't be afraid to approach your future colleagues and ask them a question or get their opinion. This is also FREE. Note: you must pass through security to enter the court house and no cell phones are allowed.
4) When you can - attend the Free MCLE meetings. Each committee hosts several MCLE meetings a year. These occur over the lunch hour and offer free pizza. If you have chosen committees of interest in your profile you will be on the email list and be notified of these meetings. Again, a great place to learn more about the law, and meet lawyers in the area you are considering practicing.
5) Keep track of what is going on at DCBA and read the DCBA Brief and emails. This will give you something to discuss with others at the networking events.
6) Sit in on court cases happening in the court house. You'll learn a lot and will be able to ask potent questions to the attorneys you meet in the ARC or at other networking events.
7) Get prospective employers to sit up and take notice and get published! The DuPage County Bar Association’s award-winning magazine, DCBA Brief, accepts article submissions from law students and attorneys. DCBA Brief is used by Thomson Reuters in their Westlaw resource library and has been cited in cases regularly. Make your resume stand out from the rest! Only original material, never published elsewhere will be considered. For more information about how to submit an article visit: http://www.dcbabrief.org.
8) Volunteer! Lawyers Lending a Hand could always use more hands. This is a great opportunity to get to know lawyers and judges on a different level, by working side by side on monthly local service projects. Check the calendar for upcoming Lawyers Lending a Hand events.
9) New Admittees, participate in the Lawyer to Lawyer Mentoring program which matches new attorneys with experienced attorneys. Mentees must complete within the first three years after being admitted. It is a one year program with start dates in fall and early spring. Both lawyers earn 6 hours of PRMCLE.
10) New Admittees get your Court ID Pass at the Bar Center. This pass will allow you to bypass the lines and bring in your cell phone. This is only for attorneys with a valid ARDC card. There is a cost of $30 for new card, and $20 to renew each year. Cards are also good in Kane County.